- Influencers often share links to their Instagram Stories or below their YouTube videos.
- These links are often affiliate links that allow content creators to earn commission on sales.
- We spoke with the creators about how much money they make with affiliate marketing.
- Watch more stories on the Insider Business page.
These “swipe up” and stickers on Instagram stories or links under a YouTube video aren’t all for the convenience of the viewer – it’s just how many influencers make money.
When someone makes a purchase on a website after clicking a trackable link or using a certain code, the influencer who posted them can earn commission from that sale in what is called affiliate marketing.
Influencers often use affiliate marketing as a way to earn income outside of sponsored posts or video ad revenue. It’s also a way for emerging “nano” and “micro” influencers (with between 1,000 and 100,000 followers) to start making money and working with sponsors as content creators.
How much affiliate marketing earns for an influencer depends on several factors such as their following size, engagement, and the industry they are in. It also depends on the commission rates of the applicable brands and platforms.
For example, some financial influencers can make a decent portion of their income from affiliate links alone. may work with
Like Robinhood or Acorns.
Read more details about how much money apps and companies pay influencers with affiliate marketing
Personal finance influencer Tori Dunlap told Insider that she made over $200,000 in eight months.
But finance is not the only well-paid category.
Skincare influencer Vi Lai recently said that she earns over $5,000 a month from affiliate links, and a few other influencers say they earn a few hundred dollars here and there.
From brands like Amazon to affiliate marketing platforms like LTK or MagicLinks, there are a few ways for influencers to earn a commission from promoting products on social media.
Here are 9 of the top platforms that influencers use to make money from affiliate links
Some influencers have even started texting their followers with links to their favorite products as a way to increase sales. And platforms like Instagram are also taking advantage of this space through their affiliate marketing programs.
Instagram’s affiliate program allows content creators to share feed posts and stories that can be shopped from, as well as host a “shop” on their account where influencers can earn a commission on any sale from their page. Instagram plans to expand its affiliate tools to include more video content in 2022.
Check out 32 leaked commission rates for brands in Instagram Affiliate Test
In 2021, Instagram also made it easier for influencers to add affiliate links to their Stories after the platform raised its requirement that users be verified or have at least 10,000 followers to use the feature.
Insider spoke with several influencers and industry experts about affiliate marketing. Here’s a summary of what they told us they had earned.
How Much Money Do Influencers Make With Affiliate Marketing?
We spoke with a few influencers about how they integrate affiliate links into their content. Several details of their monthly earnings. It ranged from about $50 a month to over $25,000 a month.
Here’s how much money 9 affiliate content creators earn:
- Tori Dunlap, Personal Financial Influencer on TikTok with 1.7 million followers
- Ryan Scribner, a personal finance YouTuber with 737,000 YouTube subscribers
- Vi Lai, a skincare influencer with 849,000 followers on TikTok and 180,000 on Instagram
- Charlie Chang, a YouTube creator with 457,000 subscribers who posts personal and real estate financial content
- Kara Harms, a full-time blogger with a social media following of over 300,000 followers
- Charli Prangley is a part-time YouTube creator with around 200,000 subscribers
- Erica Kohlberg, lawyer and YouTube creator with 200,000 subscribers
- Bethany Everett-Ratcliffe, a small fashion and lifestyle influencer with 16,000 followers on Instagram
- Kayla Compton, a lifestyle influencer with 4,600 subscribers on YouTube and 2,700 followers on Instagram